Journey Church started in 2009 in the loft of a home in our rapidly growing community. Since that time, we’ve grown into a family of people travelling on a faith journey together. Today, between 80 and 100 people all come together on Sunday mornings and throughout the week to worship, pray, study, and connect with each other and our community.
What’s a typical Journey person look like? Well … we look like YOU. We’re young and old and we come from all walks of life. We welcome all people. We don’t check your ID, the make-up of your family, your tax returns, your political affiliation, or require a test for you to be part of our family! All are welcome in this place.
Diversity is important to us. We want to be a church that reflects the diversity of God’s people.
We’re a group of people who are interested journeying together and with Jesus. We believe that journey happens as we ENCOUNTER, EXPERIENCE, and ENGAGE.
We ENCOUNTER Jesus, our God and each other.
We then EXPERIENCE Jesus and one another, and we are transformed by the experience.
Finally, we go out to ENGAGE with the world, transformed by Jesus and ready to transform the world.
What We Believe
Journey is a United Methodist Church. United Methodists are Christians — followers of Jesus — who exist to “make disciples of all nations for the transformation of the world.” We are about teaching people about Jesus (making disciples) so that the world will be different. We’re active in projects that bring hope, support our community, build up those in need, and make the world better.
- We believe that the church is the body of Christ, an extension of Christ’s life and ministry in the world today.
- We believe that the mission of the church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- We believe that the church is “the communion of saints,” a community made up of all past, present, and future disciples of Christ.
- We believe that the church is called to worship God and to support those who participate in its life as they grow in faith.
We believe Jesus is the Lord. We believe that the Lord Jesus invites everyone, everywhere to be in relationship with him.
Beyond faith in Jesus, Journey Church has 4 core values. They are:
- Fun. We believe that Jesus came to help us live life in the fullest. We want full life to start now, and we believe that church is a fun place. We do all kinds of fun things as a church.
- Acceptance. We look at the world that God has created and see a wonderful mosaic of colors, languages, ages, experiences and tastes. We believe the church must reflect this wonderful mosaic.
- Spiritual Transformation. We believe that when God starts to work on people’s hearts, amazing things begin to happen. Our church’s job is to help people know Jesus and become a new creation.
- Outward focus. We are convinced that church is about serving our neighbors, not ourselves.
If you are interested in learning more about Journey, come for a visit or contact us with any questions you might have!
The United Methodist Church … around the World and the World Wide Web
Journey is Maricopa’s United Methodist Church and is part of the Desert Southwest Conference. As a United Methodist Church we share a number of exciting things with other United Methodists in Arizona, across the nation, and around the world.
The United Methodist Church is an 12.5-million-strong global church that opens hearts, opens minds and open doors through active involvement with our world. John Wesley and the early Methodists placed primary emphasis on Christian living – putting faith and love into action.
You can learn more about – and expand your connection with – the UMC and its family of believers through the links below.
- The United Methodist Church – http://www.umc.org
- The Desert Southwest Conference – http://desertsouthwestconference.org/
- Bishop Bob Hoshibata – http://bishop-bob.tumblr.com/
- DSC Camps and Retreats – http://www.dsccamps.org/
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) – http://www.umcor.org/
- Imagine No Malaria – http://www.imaginenomalaria.org/
- United Methodist Men – http://www.gcumm.org/
- United Methodist Women – http://www.unitedmethodistwomen.org/